Originally Posted by Ivy
Tigerle, I see what you are saying, though it sounds more like educational suicide rather than social suicide. I think I was definitely seeing this through a US lens, where other parents might be competitive or annoyed at the information, but who cares? (Answer, not me.)

I guess there are old traumas coming into play again...
So far, DS is doing okay in his class, not super popular, but he's accepted for who he is (much more than I ever was at that age). But we have had a few odd snarky comments from parents already. I am worried that if the words "gifted", "grade skip", "gifted program" (I am not worried about test scores leaking, I do not think the numbers mean anything to most people) somehow come up in the parental gossip (it is unbelievable to me how gossipy these grown up educated pleasant women are...) parents who feel threatened by this might gang up on us and make their kids gang up on DS.
It's happened to me, and it was merely caused by a grade skip, no one even bothered about iq back then. I'm SO in the closet.
I suppose it's easier if you do not have a choice, if it's the school doing or demanding the testing and making the placement decisions. In my case, it is completely up to me to make the results relevant or not, as the case may be.