Originally Posted by Loy58
Oh, cammom - that is a good, cautionary tale. May I ask how you managed to communicate with the new school (and I agree that being polite, modest, and diplomatic is key)?

I think if you have a kiddo who is 2e, they are so frequently UNDERESTIMATED, that I would be more apt to speak up and freely share. It is a little trickier with a non-2e kiddo, I think, although the reason for testing is usually the same - the parent often doesn't feel that their DC's needs are being met.

But just raising the issue that one felt the need to go outside the school to have their DC assessed, could be met with defensiveness.

I feel like I'm tiptoeing through broken glass with these: on one hand, I can see where the achievement data could be VERY relevant to the teacher (for example,suggesting a DC is functioning pretty comfortably above grade-level); also, the IQ data could remove the concern that a DC has been hothoused into this level of achievement. On the other hand, the school might not react positively to a family who privately went to have a DC tested. Still, just when/how/what to share? That's the tricky part.

Loy58- DS is in private school, so we shared it while shopping for the "new school." I was straightforward- stated that he had a recent IQ test and the results were high. I shared that he was specifically advanced in some areas, particularly math. I asked how the school accommodates students like DS. My BS detector was on red alert by that time, so it was fairly obvious which school was going to be the fit.

When DS started first grade (bear with me) I hoped that the teacher would see his abilities independently. At the time, I was still reeling a bit from his scores, uncertain what it would mean, and buying into the idea that kids may even out.
DS quickly became disengaged with academics, and careless with his work. His teacher noted his inattentiveness, carelessness and general disinterest and came to inaccurate conclusions. Everything from my tentativeness to DS's attitude, and his teacher's observations of his behaviors created a negative situation.

I'm mentioning this because I can't imagine that the situation is too uncommon. Many of the folks who post on this forum are a bit shocked and uncertain of what IQ scores may mean--they may naturally have trepidations about coming on too strong with a teacher. However an under challenged child may not react submissively, and may check out or become disruptive. Teachers have their own bias because a truly gifted child is unusual- when they see behavior, giftedness probably won't be their first instinct. It can become a perfect storm- all parties frustrated.

Just thoughts.