Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
Kai, that is roughly where DD's majority skills would have placed her, believe it or not. We slowed that particular trajectory just twice-- at 7th and again at 11th grade. I'm still not sure that wasn't in error, truthfully.

Of course, we would have preferred about 75th-90th percentile, but more often got 95th-99th-- thus my statement about not being entirely sure that this wasn't a mistake.

The "yikes" was me envisioning my son with a 7 year skip at age 10. I know there are others for whom it would be appropriate (at least from an academic standpoint).

When my son was 10, he was at the 90th percentile as compared to end of year 7th graders, so placement in 8th grade that year would have been fairly appropriate academically. And now that I think about it, his Algebra I class that year was the only class where he was challenged at all.

I have noticed over the years that he does best at the level where his test scores place him around the 90th percentile--which makes sense, as the 90th percentile tends to indicate mastery.