A common theme on the forum is the extent of acceleration that our children require. Last week, on a lark, I looked up my province's curriculum standards for elementary school and was surprised to see that DS2.8 has met most of the grade 1 targets across the board without any direct instruction. DS won't begin school until he is 4 or 5, possibly as a homeschooler, but I'd like to develop a sense of what road I'm in for.

I'm interested to understand what acceleration has looked like for your children across a variety of subjects and ages to gauge the pace of learning I might expect from DS. (I'm asking this with the obvious caveat that abilities and interests are probably quite idiosyncratic to the individual.) Do they accelerate more quickly through early grades? Which subjects tend to require the most subject acceleration, to what extent, and when?

If your children weren't able to accelerate at a pace commensurate with their abilities, I'd also be interested to hear what you think an appropriate pace would have been.

I've made a hypothetical sample of the information I'm looking for, with an 8 year old child as an exemplar:

Age 4-- Math grade 1, English grade 2, science grade 2, etc.
Age 5--Math grade 3, English grade 4, science grade 4, etc.
Age 8--Math grade 6, English grade 7, science grade 7, etc.

Many thanks!

What is to give light must endure burning.