Originally Posted by HowlerKarma

If none of that is "reason enough" to think twice, then I'm at a loss, honestly. Is it that people don't believe in my daughter's reality? I'm truly not sure. ..
frown

No, people don't believe. I get severely asthmatic when exposed to cat dander and trust me cat dander is everywhere. Despite my efforts to explain the severity of my allergy, people don't get it until they've witnessed me have an uncontrollable asthma attack from something as simple as sitting in a co-worker's car. They are dumbfounded that there is cat dander in their car even though their cat has never been in their car. I imagine that it is similar for your daughter with food residue but her reactions sound even more severe.

Similarly, people who have not witnessed someone have a severe allergic reaction to food just don't get it. My son has multiple severe food allergies, though not as severe as your daughter's. It seems he has to ingest it to react so in that way, he is lucky. People don't understand how stressful it is to always have to make all of your own food and bring it with you wherever you go. They don't understand never being able to grab some take-out or go over to a relative's house. We've paid the price for our attempts to see if some of these everyday activities could work. We've seen the results of cross-contamination at restaurants despite telling the waitperson the full list of allergies and grilling them for 20 minutes trying to find one thing on the menu that my kid could possibly eat. We've had well-meaning relatives forget and use an ingredient that they shouldn't. My kid has one bite and throws up for the rest of the day. Traveling is nightmare. We always have to have a place to stay with a kitchen and bring our own pots and pans. Forget attending sleep away camp. The only way I can possibly see it work would be if I drove food up to camp everyday.

Our school has a no birthday treat policy that DS's teacher decided to ignore this year. I kept my mouth shut as my son dealt with seeing everyone else get home-baked cookies or cupcakes that he couldn't have. He even begged me to let him do a food-challenge so that he might be able to eat a cookie with everyone else. We tried with one of the allergens that the doctor said his numbers had improved to the point where he could try. I watched my kid force himself to eat something that I could tell was making him feel ill in the hopes that his discomfort who be minimal enough that he could fake it on occasion. He threw up in the car and laid in a ball for the rest of the day. When the school administration finally came down on the teacher for allowing treats, I got dirty looks because everyone assumed it was me who reported this teacher even though I did not. I've watched parents force candy bars into my son's hands and tell him not to tell mom, like I'm not letting him have that milk chocolate candy bar with nuts because I am some sort of health nazi! He just brings them home and trades with his sisters or our safe-food stockpile.

So sadly, my only conclusion is that people really don't believe.