There's a mom at DD's school who had to protest the school's actions because she thought the school was being ridiculously over-protective. Her DS's allergy (to cinnamon?) is fairly mild, yet the school nurse sent out memos to all the teachers putting limits on what he could eat/do, there were emergency instructions, and she made a huge deal out of it. I found this strange considering my DS went to school in kindergarten with a fractured skull, neck brace, and eye patch and they were perfectly fine with him being unattended, walking across wet floors, ice, etc.

I do feel for parents/kids with severe allergies and them not being taken seriously. There do seem to be a lot parents that "cry wolf" or make a big deal out of allergies that are not actually severe, and that takes away from the actual life-threatening cases that should be taken seriously. It's probably hard for the school to sort out which allergies they should be worried about, and which they shouldn't be worried about. Maybe the parents are actually worried that the allergy will cause a severe reaction, and are just being over-protective, rather than it being an attention-getting maneuver. But in cases where a child HAS had a severe reaction already, it should be obvious to everyone.