Originally Posted by QT3.1414
My thoughts are this, as a way to reconcile the disparity in views.

Why can't standards augment everywhere? For instance, why endure math 1, 2, and 3 and finally calculus--if you could be learning differential equations and multi. calc. instead? Any average-to-above average kid--with enough confidence and a good support group of peers and teachers--can perform well in these courses. Anyone with trouble can get tutoring lessons as well (which could also be provided on the side).

In terms of literature, for instance, why not read Donne and Chaucer? As long as the concepts are readily determined/described by a "facilitator" I despise the word teacher--any student with average-to-above intelligence can appreciate the challenge and the work ethic instilled at a young age.

As a PG 23 year old (my IQ ranges from 170-180), I briefly attended a lycée in France from 16 to 17. There is no ability grouping, yet I learned a vast amount of material. I also went out of my way to become an autodidactic, which is how many kids should learn (and certainly can, with sufficient commitment). We should be encouraging children (at younger ages) to take a self-teaching approach. Self-confidence and a love of learning can lead to vast changes. In this manner, the confidence and self-worth refrain from any mitigation due to "gifted" and "non-gifted" labeling.

The essence of my post is this:

schools are under-challenging our students--regardless of IQ. An average child might still be miserable and unmotivated in classes where you can get an A simply for pleasing the teacher, showing leadership, doing vapid worksheets, and demonstrating motivation. It's time to raise the academic standards, encourage our children to question and become autodidactic, and instill them with the ambition to do (and question) more.

All good points. But then higher expectations for the level of learning also brings to light the uncomfortable, painful fact that too many of our youth are insufficiently nourished and cared for to keep up with an extraordinarily rigorous curriculum.

Last edited by KADmom; 07/12/13 07:34 AM.