Originally Posted by MumOfThree
MK13 have a listen to this, particularly the last 15-20 mins.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/autism...er--autism-token-theory-autistic-burnout

Personally it does not sound to me like your son is misdiagnosed. It does sound like the therapy he's receiving at school is far from theraputic. I agree with DeeDee you still need to build flexibility and expand skills, but you seem to be building shut down at the moment. We pulled our DD out of the social skills class that was run by THE autism body in our state and supposedly dedicated entirely to girls like her. It was wildly inappropriate, she was clearly and concisely able to describe how condescending it was and ask us "What on earth do you think is WRONG with me that you are sending me there?". She still needs social skills work, but we pulled her out of that immediately and will find something eventually - something that builds smiles AND self esteem, rather than telling her she is stupid and clueless, which was the message she was getting loud and clear from this course.

thank you for the link! I started listening about 20 minutes from the end, right where she talked about how the kids can seem normal when they are relaxed and happy ... just like our case. DS had a break in therapy for about 4 weeks when he aged out of EI and before school therapy started and he was the happiest kid on Earth! And then it quickly disappeared as soon as the therapy at school started. And I was actually able to get the school to agree to 2 sessions that are co-therapies rather than 4 separate sessions they had planned originally. We would ALL go crazy having to make him go there 4 times a week! I feel like we are all feeling burnt out. Not just our son. And the fact that he's not only striking at others (and he truly is the sweetest kid on this planet otherwise! Always cuddling with me, kissing me, needing contact with me or his dad and even with his brother when he's in his happy mode!) but now even unintentionally hurting himself, that's just wrong and I really do need to put a stop to it.