Originally Posted by knute974
I am curious if there is anyone out there with an HG kid where late reading was "perfectly normal." I think part of the problem is that school's just don't see that many three sigma kids so they don't know what is "normal" for a kid with an IQ of 145+.

I'm curious about the same thing. FWIW, I think that 2e kids with SLD (dyslexia, dysgraphia etc) are probably much rarer than we *think* they are when we're parents of them, scouring the internet for resources, and finding each other online. I haven't met any other 2e parents in "real" life - the 2e kids that I've met through our local gifted school district program are ASD, ADHD, or emotional challenges, not 2e due to learning disabilities. The gifted teachers we've met through the school district seem to not have experience with kids like our ds - but is it because they are rare or because they largely go unidentified? We had to advocate like crazy to get our ds id'd as "gifted" in our district in spite of his obviously qualifying IQ scores. We even had one teacher who was convinced our ds was below average intelligence *in spite* of having seen his IQ test scores - honestly, I think most of his teachers never believed his IQ scores when he was young because they saw the kid who couldn't write and automatically equated that with cognitive ability.

polarbear