I agree too, but DD5 also learned to read by memorization. Meaning, she doesn't use phonics, but memorizes the word to read later and knows the context.
This was confusing for me because DD8 started reading soon after she knew all the alphabet sounds and can still sound out words and pronounce them right, even if she doesnt' know what it means.
She did well on that psuedowords portion of the WIAT.
DD5, however, didn't really jump on the phonics bandwagon. Someone suggested to me I make flashcards of the Dolch sight words. She quickly memorized those and that's when she began to read at all.
It basically comes down to the fact that their brains work differently and they process differently.
Try the dolch sight words on flashcards. It's one word at a time as opposed to seeing a page with a bunch of words which can be a bit intimidating, ESPECIALLY to a very precocious youngster, IMO.

OTOH: "He rarely even IDs letters unless prompted to,"

if he does have a 2E, I think it's hard to figure that out now, but what do I know. Maybe Debbie has a better idea about that.
Maybe he's just not into learning how to read now. You said 3? At three they are so elusive! You like: Free to be you and me? My DD5 when she was 3: "Free to be me, me, me and it's all about me!! It's not like his mother is stubborn or independent thinking or anything, right?
smile

I