Originally Posted by acs
Watching these boards I think many of us have decided that mediocre public schools without great reputaions may be more willing to accomodate HG+ kids than schools that are outwardly doing better and may be prone to smugness. DS's teachers have usually expressed concern that they are not able to do enough for him and come to me for help and ideas. Meanwhile many parents who have kids in "good" schools are having to jump up and down and shout and still no one seems to notice. So I guess I'm saying be cautious about moving schools based on reputation, becasue sometimes the ones with good reputations are the worst fit for HG kids. KWIM?

I concur. Apparently our school system--one of the few "good" ones in our area--has a 40% GT rate. So when they say "All our kids are GT," they really mean it (or think they do...).

They don't grade skip, they don't subject accelerate, they don't do well at differentiation in general...aside from the one-hour-a-week pullout for math (and only math) that doesn't start until 3rd grade, I can't see that they do much!

Reasons why we're HSing...

I'd take a less-good school system that gave a you-know-what about my child's needs any day! frown

Kriston