My DS will be 7 in March. We had him tested in the spring before kindergarten would have started for him. I used the Iowa Acceleration Manual as a guide. I scoured A Nation Deceived, Genius Denied and other resources about educational planning for GT kids. We advocated for him to skip K. We eventually got that and then last year he was again subject accelerated in math. So this year he is 2nd grade but goes to 3rd for math. It has been working pretty well this year - although the acceleration hasn't solved the problem of boredom and slow paced curriculum. But at least he is getting new topics to learn some of the time!

MrWiggly is not profoundly gifted. More like the 130s IQ. He also has some of the "bothersome" characteristics of GT such as perfectionism, high sensitivity, emotionality and stubbornness. He is also very social. There have been bumps and our journey is far from over. But I would do the acceleration all over. I'm now thinking about how we can meet his needs even better next year, which may mean curriculum differentiation or further subject acceleration. Hope that personal story helps some.