Originally Posted by onthegomom
I was wondering if you think it is necessary to have the point/credit system?
Absolutely not necessary to use the credit system. In the old days before 'time outs' became 'reset' the credit system was used as a carrot/stick to get kids to do a 'in chair' time out. Now that we parents are totally empowered to reset anytime anywhere without cooperation from the child, it's no longer an issue.

We tried credit system for about 3 months in hopes of getting screen time under control. That didn't happen, but other parts of our family life improved.

I don't see NHA as being all about pleasing the parents, but I do think that 'we are their favorite toy' - so alot of children's lives is already about getting a reaction (positive or negative) from the parents (or siblings.) If that is a reality in your house, then you may as well give 'emotional nutrition' that not only pleases the parents but increases the child's inner strength. Afterall, what pleases us parents is to see our children responding to life with more and more inner strength, instead of going after the 'emotional junkfood' of the negative attention.

Good luck with the new school OTGmom!
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com