Originally Posted by CourtneyB
Originally Posted by CAMom
$45 will get you halfway to testing with our university's ed.psych program in training... not the best results but better in my own head than any online assessment...

How do you go about finding this info out?

From my experience, I wouldn't recommend it for kids under 6 or 7. The testers are young and new- they are ed.psychs in the process of finishing their credentials and coursework. They don't often have experience testing young children.

For example, when we tried it with my son who had just turned 5, he asked what the giant mirror in the room was for. The tester replied "Oh there are people in there watching you!" She thought she was being funny... she scared the living daylights out of him.

However, it can be a very inexpensive and useful way to get some information! I called our university's education department and asked if they offered IQ/Achievement testing for a reduced rate for their psych in training. They said yes, scheduled an appointment and I paid $75. I believe the going rate is now $90.

Another option is to call a neighboring school district and talk to their school psychologist. Some have psychologists who do private testing on the side. Our "real" tester is one of these and has worked fabulously with my son.