Well there kind of is national standards with the Taks or Cat or whatever the heck it is the end of year test, but it's crappy standards promoting content over skill from what I can see. I think that's what everybody's complaining about, having to drill facts until they're memorized for the test instead of teaching basic foundational skills (which would be harder to test without showing just how much better some students are doing than others).
Thanks for talking to me it helped me clarify and edit my thread for better clarity. I love the idea of continuing education available even to the retired grandpa who wants to learn a new carreer path. It doesn't fit humanity's current business model. Even communism which is supposedly different from capitalism is a business model, treating the country like a business and the people like employees there just to do a job and that's it. What you're describing is a sci-fi fantasy utopia like Star Trek the next Generation where humanity has evolved from surviving to exploring. Good luck with that. I mean there's some nerds working on it, that's what the open access college files on the Internet is trying to start. But it's too little and too sparse. Maybe if free and appropriate public education was offered as an opportunity rather than a requirement in a very unschooly nation, maybe the world would be curious enough to educate themselves.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar