Originally Posted by PoppaRex
Originally Posted by Iucounu
It's that I just don't want to dull his mind with coloring books

Please, please, please rethink your position.

While i'd agree you have an issue if coloring books were the only offering in lieu of classwork, I have to say that coloring books were a savior to me as a kid. I could easily get lost coloring. I learned all sorts of techniques for shading, complimentray colors, texturing, etc. and just the sheer ability to color something how I WANTED to was a creative freedom that was allowed on a world where kids were supposed to listen rather than think. That was one of the few things that kept me sane.

What a sad place the world would have been had I not been allowed to color.

As far as the carbon copy aspect of art. Here's a little story for you... My daughter applied to the fashion Institute in NYC and I remember the portfolio review of her designs. The woman was quite excited and gushed that they usually don't get applicants with such a well defined "voice" (a unique sense of style all her own), saying "People just don't do work like this!". Needless to say she was accepted. What does that have to do with carbon copy art? My daughter told me that her art ability was woken somewhere like 3rd grade when she had to do a soap sculpture. She had no idea what to do so she and I sat at the kitchen table and she decided she wanted to carve a fish. So we sketched a design and i had a block of soap and she had a block of soap and she copied what I did. I didn't hold her hands, she did it herself, but she had an example to follow and it just opened her eyes as to what she could do. You never know when a spark is kindled.

Poppa

I've rethought it, and I still hate coloring books. I will also never sit with my children and have them copy my movements in doing an art project. What I might do is have my kids view other art, form their inspiration partly from it, and do their own designs afterward. Another thing I do is have my five-year-old son refine his own concept through multiple stages, then implement it.

You would have had even greater artistic freedom if you had started with a blank page, created your own outline and done your own shading, etc. after that. There's simply no argument on this that will convince me.

Without meaning offense, I take your comments in a similar spirit as stories about someone's grandmother who smoked all her life, yet lived to 102 without a bit of lung cancer. That is probably true for some people, but it doesn't mean that smoking is good for you. I don't doubt that you enjoyed coloring as a kid, or that your daughter got accepted to art school, etc.-- and just for the record, I don't think my son would be instantly tainted by doing a coloring book either, and think the botany one posted earlier is actually pretty cool-- but I just think that in general they tend to stunt creativity.

Last edited by Iucounu; 07/12/10 12:06 PM.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick