This article might be helpful in explaining our perspective:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/04/080422143529.htm

I still think it is better for our mental health to limit contact with certain people.

My son remembers the positive as well as the negative. I don't think he dwells on the negative, but he also doesn't forget. He remembers that a few things in kindergarten were fun, but he also remembers lots of coloring when he hated coloring, especially having to color the letter of the week and listen to very boring lessons when he could already read at a 5th grade level. He remembers talking to the teachers on playground duty instead of actually playing because there were bullies on the playground who were much bigger because they were older, having been redshirted, which is the custom here, and he didn't feel safe when they were around.

Teachers seemed to be blind to the bullying or maybe they were just thinking positive--bullying is not really that bad, it builds character, and boys will be boys, etc.

Luckily, a few teachers with a more balanced view of the reality at that school recommended that we homeschool.