Originally Posted by La Texican
Originally Posted by PoppaRex
Anyone know of any studies that indicate whether computer based training is effective when used in an individual setting as opposed to a school setting?

If reputable universities are now offering some of their courses online is it wrong to assume they put the research and development into it and that CBT alone at home is effective, or is it that they're doing the R&D right now by offering them?

I don't think it's really in question that CBT at home is effective to some degree. I would wonder whether you're missing out on some things without the school setting, and if so, what sort of things and how much. My guesses as to some possible differences: a home-based approach may lack structure compared to a school setting with a stricter curriculum and/or curriculum order (which may be good or bad), and when a child hits a problem area at home there is only the parent available, who would not usually be a trained teacher (but a bad teacher may be worse than none, and an attentive parent may be a better natural teacher than the average trained teacher, and a bright person shouldn't have a problem teaching at least elementary-school topics).

Your question about R&D is interesting. I would think that there are some interesting uses for data gathered on the learning sites.

Last edited by Iucounu; 07/13/10 04:50 AM.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick