I'm with Mamandmore on this topic. DS is 10 and currently very intrigued with the idea of becoming a lawyer...

We offer choices. For example choosing to not eat his veggies is also choosing to not get a snack before bed. Choosing not to complete his homework without arguement is choosing not to have any screen time that day. He is aware of the opportunity costs of his choices. Now it is mostly up to him to decide how he wants his day to proceed.

On the other hand, if safety is involved, he does not get to choose. Then it is obedience. He may not ride his bike without his helmit. He may not run in parking lots. Those sorts of things.

I'm not sure I have the spirit of the OP, but if it is trying to find different ways to tell a child that they need to do something, I do find that offering choices and a short explanation works as well as anything for us.

EG.
DS, you need to do your homework now. DS either ignores me or starts fussing. OK, now I tell DS. You have a choice to make. Your choice will determine what happens next. Your choice is to do your homework without fussing, after which you can have screen time. Or to choose to fuss about homework and not have screen time. You have 1 minute to decide. There is no more discussion until you make your choice. If you do not decide, you will spend the next 15 minutes in quiet time afterwhich you will need to decide.

This approach was recommended by DS's Psychiatrist. I can't say it is overly successful since DS is still struggling with impulse control, but it does lead to natural consequences that can be positive or negatice depending on his choices. He likes choose your own adventure style books. So, I do use that it time for a Real Life Choose your own adventure time sometimes, to get him in a better frame of mind for his choices.

Good luck smile