Originally Posted by sdrothco
Does anyone have any suggestions for discipline techniques for when their behavior crosses the line? Time outs are really not working...its such a struggle to even get her to go sit in the time out place, and it just intensifies the whole problem.

My current favorite parenting approach is http://www.energyparenting.com/products/item26.cfm
All Children Flourishing: Igniting The Greatness of Our Children

During years of using this approach with challenging children I discovered that it works beautifully to foster inner strength, higher achievement, happiness, security and exemplary conduct in every child. Parents, teachers and therapists who have learned and used the Nurtured Heart Approach with difficult children have consistently reported extraordinary results when applying these methods to normal children: they described their other children as flourishing beyond anything they had ever seen or experienced before. It is not just another positive approach to parenting designed to improve behavior. Rather, it s an approach to greatness, a method of recognizing and appreciating the gifts each child possesses. This approach gives adults enormous power to help every child navigate an ever more complex world with confidence and an inner compass of greatness.

and they have a great approach to time-outs. I've even become an affiliate, so if you buy the book, tell them 'Grinity' recommended it!

This book isn't specifically aimed at gifted kids, but it seems to me that it is totally in sync with the emotional OEs that so many gifties have. Much more so than regular parenting books.

BTW - with baby twins in your house, it's amazing that you have energy left to even care! Hats off to you sdrothco! (I'm an older sister of twin boys - I remember!) It's funny that your DD is looking for mental stimulation, when there are twins in the house. Teach her how to change their diapers, burp them, etc. That should give here plenty to think about, and lots for you to compliment and recognize positives over.

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com