I can't think of a book name, but check out SENG (Supporting the emotional needs of the gifted) I got a lot of good info from them.
We went through the same thing with DD6 when she was 5. Once she started school though we noticed a huge improvement and a dramatic decrease in meltdowns. I think part of it was that she was nervous about starting all day kindergarten, but at the same time bored with the laziness of summer vacation.
It took some time, but we've figured out clues that it is going to be a "meltdown" kind of day. Usually for us, they occur more often when we've had 4 days of craziness where we've not been able to let her have some "me" time doing what she wants, how she wants.(Why 4 days, I don't know, but that is her pattern, so we go with it. confused)
I'm also fairly convinced that they correlate pretty heavily with growth spurts. She gets more grouchy and more prone to meltdowns right before I notice that she no longer fits into her clothes.
There were definitely days I thought I'd stepped back in time and was dealing with a 40lb 2 year old, rather than a 5yr old. It was so bad one day that I carried her kicking and screaming out of the store, then buckled her into her carseat and stood outside the car door until she calmed down because I didn't want to be in the car with all of her noise!
Keep taking deep breaths and reminding yourself that it is only a phase and that it too shall pass. wink