A good book is 1,2,3 Magic. The techniques in this book can be used across populations (gifted, disabled, etc. ). I use it with my ds and have had very good results. You have to be consistent in whatever method you choose. Also any books on applied behavior analysis would be helpful. Try to determine why she's melting down. Is it for attention, to escape doing something she doesn't want to do, for access to tangible items, or does it just look/feel/taste good. Once you have an idea the function or root of behavior you can more easily address it. For example, if she's crying bc she wants your attention ignore the crying. Give her attn when she's quiet. Praise her often for having the behavior you want to see all the time. If she's having a tantrum to get something she wants -like dry cereal - ignore the tantrum and don't give into her demands. They learn very quickly what works and what doesn't. If she ask appropriately for dry cereal - give it to her so she see that asking nicely works, melting down does not. It's not a perfect science and our kids always keep us on our toes - often out thinking us.
I hope this advice helps. Best of luck!