I don't know if most parents know but if you keep reteaching the same information to a gifted "highly" child you will have them start to erase what you are teaching. Our brains do not work with a lot of repetitive information.

Yes! Which is why I'm HSing. These kids are so very different. What works for some here won't work for others. We have kids in schools working 3 grade levels ahead in their age-grade, others that have been grade-skipped many grade levels, some which spend some time 4 grades up for math, 3 grades up for science, 2 grades up for LA ... and those that are HSed. All of these are the right or best choices at the time for some kid somewhere. We can't say that PS is the only way, or grade skips are the only way, or HSing is the only way....no such animal.....it's a case by case basis.

Unfortunately, the internet as many things, is self-selecting. You'll happen upon a board where grade skips are horrible. Everyone has a horrible story to post about being grade-skipped or about having a child grade-skipped. Then you'll find a page where grade-skipping is the answer to all prayers.

I think for most here, our kids were BEGGING (and for some of us, dying before our eyes) to HS. Today there are SOOOOO many avenues out there for advanced kids w/ distance learning courses, early college, that their needs can be met.

I'm sorry Drew that you had such a rough time of it. Depending on the nature of your PS, there is no guarantee you would have fared any better or worse in PS. All we can do is make a decision based on current knowledge and reassess on a regularly basis on whether what we're trying is working.

Schools today are very different w/ NCLB, increased class sizes....there is much less time for teaching a Ker Algebra. I wish more teachers were so open.