Hi Movingup6!

Coming from someone who has battled within the school for proper accomodations and is still working with them(ME!) it sounds like you don't have a lot to work with here.

Originally Posted by movingup6
The principal's response was to say she was taking away his recess until he buckles down and completes his work in the allotted time. This would continue for 8 weeks, or the end of the school year. No special work would be given until he proved he could do the easy work

I'm concerned about this attitude, it sounds awfully *punishing*. There are many ways to assess the child within the brick and mortar school. Many ways to do this without having the child feel that something valuable is being taken away from him.

Originally Posted by movingup6
And, he needed to learn to play the school game to be successful in life.

Honestly, I do believe that this is a sincere concern on the part of the teachers/administrators, they really do believe this.

It's not a huge concern, however, as much of life takes place outside of the microcosm that is the grade school teacher's perspective. I wouldn't try argueing that point with them, though. I'd just disregard the comment.

It really sounds like you have made the right decision. There are some things you can do in the future if you decide that you want to take advantage of the opportunities at a brick and mortar school, I'd give it some time though.

Enjoy the learning journey with your child. There really is nothing better than watching them make those connections and become invigorated with real learning. smile

Neato

Last edited by incogneato; 03/31/09 10:22 AM. Reason: having a dyslexic moment