Originally Posted by BWBShari
Crisc, My DS only last at Montessori for a week! He went through everything in the classroom and said "now what?" They tried to get him to do the same things again, with small variations... Just like yours, repitition is a dirty word for my DS. At the end of the week the Director told me she just didn't think it would work out. They could have moved him up to the older class but they had very strict rules about that which I found very odd since in Montessori a child is supposed to be able to progress as needed.

That does not sound like the Montessori I attended.

We did the daycare/montessori open house tour when Mr W was a year old.

Mr W's visit went like this - play in age peer room for 5 minutes, go to next room (18-24mo) and do a puzzle, go to next room( 24-36 mo), pullout a chair and look at a book.

Only once place noticed what he was doing. "Wow, he'll fit in well here."

They said they had milestones and once he made them, he'd move to the next room and that "some kids move 1 month early."

When we looked at their milestones, Mr W had all but one of the 24 mos milestones, but do you really think they'd advance him in with the 2+ year olds?

When we asked about naps, they said that they had 2 x 1 hour naps each day. We indicated Mr W did not nap but maybe 15 min, but they said they'd "work" with him.

Like we don't. Any attempt to "work" with him on naps and not let him play will turn him into a screaming banshee.

It was pretty clear that they'd never been around a kid like him.

It had all the ingredients for a big mess. So, he stays at home.