I realized my DD was different very early but it was not until she had turned two that I stumbled onto the idea of gifted. In hindsight I wish I didn't have the term. It makes me second guess everything. Before I wouldn't think twice about giving my DD different things but now I am already freaked by what she knows and can't help but think that we have another 2 1/2 years before she starts Kindergarten and at the rate she is going I don't see how she could ever be happy there, so I find myself not introducing things to her. Am I holding her back? I don't really know. I still see her cognitive abilities developing in leaps and bounds just through her imaginative play and communication. I also think does it really matter if the kid has mastered such things as multiplication in the next year? I see that more as hindering her in school then helping. I think a lot of the kids get in the PS and get frustrated with what they know and what they are allowed to do in school, so why would I put my DD in that position but then again I think how would I really be able to slow her down when all she knows up to this point is really self learned with a little guidance from DM?

Yea ... knowing earlier doesn't really help, at least for this mom. It just makes me question everything. Sometimes living in the black hole and not knowing what is to come and issues others faced is a bliss.