Hi Kriston,
I'm thinking that it's a good idea to apply to YSP as is - and be sure to include the report (highlighted maybe) that the tester would like to drop the subtest. YSP really does understand the sometimes deeper thinking DOES lead to lower test scores.

My son got a "9" on a subtest If WISC III, but he qualified because all his variability was on the performance side, and the verbal side had the uniform high. I'm not sure if SB-V has "sides" or some informal equivalent.

My guess is that for every kid who has qualifing scores, there are 3 more who are so close! My dream is that we can all met here and support each other. In a way, every one of these kids are quite different from eachother, but in a way the story is so similar:

1) Other kids don't get them
2) Many teacher don't get them
3) Local friends don't get them, or YOU!
4) The have special educational needs, that may or may not be able to be met in a regular or modified environment.

I'm so glad you are able to homeschool for now, and I have hopes that by the time he gets to Middle School material, there will be a way for him to enjoy the benifits of "bricks and mortar" schools IF that turns out to be who he is.

Remember that according to "normal development" it is impossible for elelementary aged kids to do abstract reasoning. So in many places nothing that is taught in elementary school is taught that way. As my son goes through 7th grade, I see the school is adding bits of this kind of thinking to their expectations, slowly and carefully, but each drop is like precious water to my DS11.

Smiles,
Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com