I do agree with this, very strongly:
Originally Posted by Kriston
Of course, I know that the results are just a number. But since the OTHER numbers were so much higher than I was expecting, I guess I feel the need to get some sort of secondary confirmation of his abilities before I'm quite ready to believe the WJ-III was right and he's THAT gifted. I'm the sort who gets as much evidence as is reasonable before making a decision, analyzes it quickly, and then makes a decision fast. This seems like pretty important evidence!..."It's just a number; you're the expert on your kid." The results of the WJ-III would seem to indicate that I'm not, at least not like I thought I was. I may have sold DS short.

However I don't agree with this:
Originally Posted by Kriston
The thing is, so many of our decisions about his future education--and since we're home schooling this year, so much of my future day-to-day life, too!--hinge on his scores, that I feel like this test is really pivotal for our whole family.

... So the results of this test may well be pretty important to my thinking about what we do with DS from here on out. Can he go back to public school with grade skipping and all the hassles and issues that entails, or will they just flat be unable to accomodate him? Will a private gifted academy be a good fit, or is that even going to be enough for him? Will we have to keep home schooling, or will I be unable to give him the opportunities he needs? Just how gifted is this kid, really? These are the questions I'm hoping the test will help us to answer.

You are a bit off here dear, and it's stressing you out. The test is to help you understand your child better.
New understanding -> new choices -> new observations -> new choices.
With a level III and up child, there are no turnkey solutions. The tests help you know the child better, but only life experience will show you what works with your individual child. Sorry if this seems to obvious to bring us, but I belief that taking a look at your expectations of the test are too high. Not that I don't wish we all could give our child a test, then go though a door that would lead to all the resource we needed to do your big job. If you see that door, let me know!

Testing establishes a floor that your child isn't lower than. Testing teaches you more about the child. You will develop a new hypothesis. You will want to test your hypothesis by the materials you choose, and talent search tests in the future.

I believe that you will find the testing to be very worthwhile, even though it isn't what you are expecting. Try to lower your expectations and be open to what the testing will be 'in your particluar situation.'

I'm so pleased for you. We will be here, no matter what!
Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com