I was that child. My parents struggled to find a solution to that issue from first grade until middle school. Since sixth, I have typed most of my schoolwork. Within a year or so, school ceased to require any discernable effort. I am now a junior in high school and doing well. If handwriting is your son�s problem, he couldn�t have a better one. How often does one really need to write more than a few words by hand? Computers these days are light, sturdy, and portable. Laptops with long-lasting batteries and restored typewriters can be used during power outages. A PDA with a Bluetooth keyboard is a small and economical possibility. There is no longer any reason to force a child to write by hand. Whether writing physically painful for your son or just distasteful, penmanship is increasingly unimportant. Especially if it is the former, typing lessons could change his life. His active imagination suggests that, if freed from what may be a physical difficulty, he might have some stories to tell.