Don't worry about asking for help from DITD--that's the ENTIRE REASON they exist! Ask for help! Seriously!

How much help can they give? Well, it depends. They can offer advice, put you in touch with experts, write letters, make suggestions about advocacy strategies, etc. If you're thinking about homeschooling, they can ask questions and help you walk through the decision so that you're happy with the decision you make.

It's worth a phone call! Honest! And you can even call to say "I'm not sure what I need from you" and they can help you figure it out.

We pulled our DYS DS7 out of a "good school" (Not NY reputation "good," but still, one of the best in our area) to homeschool. That doesn't mean HSing is the right choice for you, but it does mean that sometimes it's the right call. The flexibility is very nice to have when it comes to HG+ kids, that's for sure. But there are other ways to make it work if you are willing to advocate.

My DYS consultant did warn me that sometimes (not always!) private schools (even private GT schools) can be harder to work with to get the education an HG+ child needs because they have a product to sell--like any business!--and they don't always take kindly to being asked to adapt it. In GT schools, all their kids truly ARE GT! So if they don't recognize asynchronous development and LOGS, it can be a terrible fit for some HG+ kids. Fortunately, many GT schools do recognize these factors, thank goodness, but as always, it all comes down to the individual school and even the individual teacher.

If you are in one of these not-so-good situations for your child, it doesn't matter how "good" the school is. You have to do what's best for your child, whatever that might be.

As for the PSI, I have a child with very similar scores. We do find that it is a "bottleneck" to his learning. That is, it's not really a learning disability, as that PSI score is still above average. But it does affect the way my DS7 learns and the way he must be taught. I often say that he is "deep, but not fast," and frankly, the stereotype of a GT kid is one who is fast. That means not everyone will recognize just how GT your child is. With my son, before we bagan homeschooling, teachers would comment on the fact that he didn't even finish the work they gave him, not realizing that he really needs extra time to do things. I feared that for that reason, grade-skipping or even subject advancement might not work well.

We had a dismal HSing math co-op experience (for 9-12yos) with the mom of an HG+ child who ignored DS7 when he spoke because he wasn't fast. I had to pull him out. frown OTOH, he is now taking a HSing math class with 9-12yos with a teacher who totally gets him, and is near the top of the class. She told me "He is in the exact right spot." So as I say, the teacher makes all the difference.

So is the PSI a red flag? Not exactly. But it could have a significant effect on how well he can fit into educational situations.

I think of it as having a 10+yo thinker who works at the speed of a normal 7yo. That means in some ways he's going to seem even slower than he is because he has so much in his head to process!

HTH! Keep talking if you need more...

And if you want to discuss the pros and cons of HSing, just say the word. Many of us here have been where you are and we're happy to help people who are considering HSing without pushing. I'm an "emergency HSer" myself, so I don't push it on anyone. Promise! smile

Kriston