Hi, my ds (6.5) is really struggling this year...just barely hanging on in the first grade. I see lots of people posting their kids' scores and getting interesting responses, so maybe someone can help!

He basically will not write. He CAN write-- to fill in one-word responses, spelling tests, etc-- but when faced with a blank page and asked to express himself, he completely flips out. I mean he becomes very anxious and begs to do anything else. It turns out he has not filled out his in-class "reading log" (which requires him to answer long comprehension questions) since SEPTEMBER-- the rest of the class dutifully fills in the pages but he ignores the expectation and just keeps reading whatever he wants, apparently. He is supposed to fill in a weekend journal each week, and his entries generally read someone like, "I played. It was fun."

Anyway, here are his scores:
WISC:
VCI 148
PRI 145
WMI 120
PSI 115
FSIQ 144
(I did not get the GAI but calculated it myself, it was 158-- not sure if that's right.)

WIAT:
Word reading 160
Reading comprehension 135
Pseudoword decoding 148
reading composite 160

numerical operations 116
math reasoning 133
mathematical composite 130

spelling 115
written expression 118
written language composite 119

listening comprehension 142
oral expression 160
oral language composite 160

wiat composite score 149

To put this another way, he reads at grade level >12.9 but spells at grade level 1.8, written expression 2.8.

Initially, the teacher thought he had ADHD, but I resisted. It did not quite add up... I didn't buy it.

In Oct/Nov he had 4 different cases of strep, and his behavior grew more and more erratic (jumpy, anxious, nonattentive, defiant, glassy-eyed)-- but then, when he was given the right antibiotic (in early December), it was like all the behavior problems suddenly, immediately disappeared. His teacher noticed it to. When he went off the antibiotic, the strep came back and so did the behaviors... then, on the antibiotic, it all went away again. Now he has a diagnosis of PANDAS-- which is an autoimmune disorders in which the body overproduces strep antibodies, which in turn attack the basal ganglia region of the brain. PANDAS could cause all the strange behavior. Another symptom is a deterioration of writing ability. And sometimes numerical operations.

And meanwhile, though his behavior is MUCH better, he still refuses to write. He is about to flunk first grade.

Raising this child is really wearing me out.

Anyone have an opinion??? Thanks!