Hi BK and jojo,
My son, now age 12, seems to have been born like this, but as Dr. Sylvia Rimm says, on page 116 of 'Why Bright Kids Get Poor Grades:'
"Schoolwork that is too easy can cause antoher dilemma. It is a frequent cause of Underachievement Syndrome for intellectually gifted children. Some bright children who enter first grade know most of the material to be covered in that grade, and they are legitimately and consistently bored during their entire fist years of school..."

The whole book is very worth reading, and helped me guide my son to a developing a good work ethic. Basically a good work ethic requires practice, and repeated challenges that are at the child's readiness level. By the time I figured out that there was trouble at our house, DS's 'readiness level' had shrunk to the point where almost every challenge was 'too easy' OR 'daunting.'

It's been a long hard road, as everything these kids do, they seem to do with gusto, but read the book, remember to talk about what a hard worker and strong curiosity-er your child is to them, but better, to other people when they think they aren't supposed to be listening. Also - you must insist that challenge be part of their life every day - even for 15 minutes at home with you - even if they scream and kick and tantrum. Develop a family motto that talks about what your family values, and include good work ethic in that motto.

Some of these kids can make very strong arguments because they have good verbal skills, but they are still the child, and although it's ok to listen to them up to a point, you MUST maitain an independent perspective, and cut them off when they are having a 'veiled tantrum.'

I just made up the idea of a 'veiled tantrum' and it's the kind of verbal onslaught you describe, jojo, where any other kid would be kicking or crying, but your kid is leading you both down the garden path of words that don't really hang together.

I read in a dog training book that the best way to get a dog to rely on you as it's master, is to take it out into the big unknown world. For my kid, a gradeskip into a situation that was actually too hard for him was pivitol in having him look to us, his parents for leadership. jojo - you may want to consider doing that gradeskip NOW. (If it's needed.)

BK - get your son's vision checked, by a straight opthamologist, but also by a behavioral optometrist. Reading troubles in bright kids should be checked out. My son loved anything where the goals were real overt - such as gaining experience levels in a video game.

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com