Hi all,

We seem to have an issue with our DS6 in that he appears to be very unwilling to actually work at anything in order to master it.

I've been expecting him to start reading for the last year and a half, but he just doesn't seem to get there. He went through a very brief period of being interested in early readers around easter (and scooted through them), but now vehemently resists being asked to try reading - although he's very happy to when he's confident that he already knows (sight words seem to work for him much better than phonics - he prefers to just know rather than have to work anything out). He'd like to be able to ride his bike without training wheels, but doesn't want to have to practice. He discovered addition earlier in the year and was very keen of writing up sums everywhere for a fortnight. But when I tried to introduce subtraction (thinking this would be something he'd like to know about as well) he felt that his world would end if he had to have it explained to him. He won't try new play equipment at the park if other children are watching - has to master it privately first.

Has anyone else had this problem? And does anyone have any ideas as to what to do about it? I can see this tendency potentially escalating into a serious problem.

Thanks for any thoughts.
BK