Originally Posted by sanne
Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
Originally Posted by sanne
Does anyone project that there wil be too many people pursuing STEM careers? I don't see a point in encouraging an entire generation to pursue STEM. I'm encouraging my son to consider skilled trades and agriculture, I think all the STEM jobs are going to be filled, and student debt will make trade and agriculture unattractive to those who pursued STEM. JMO. I will be curious what happens in the next 10 - 30 years.

Interestingly, in my circle, agricultural careers are considered STEM. :-)

I think encouraging more people to have STEM skills is a good goal, but agree that it's a little silly to think everyone is well suited for any particular type of career.

Wow! I haven't heard of agriculture presented as STEM. I wonder if living in a rural area affects that? Around here, there is a small STEM project-based charter school one district over. And the local middle school has a STELM classroom for top 10th percentile students, which covers cryptography, LEGO robotics, 3D printing, and a couple other topics. Oh, and there's a private tutor that teaches computer coding (Scratch, Tynker) about 15 miles away. So we're not seeing much change for all the talk about STEM. Privileged families and identified-high achiever-high IQ children have limited access to STEM. Nothing for anyone else.

Farming, no, but other careers in agriculture are considered that in my region (plant science, agricultural genomics, animal sciences).