Originally Posted by spaghetti
Dude, my kid would say those problems are problems. Social acceptance is important. When your coworkers resent you and believe you were "given" what they are working hard to achieve, they resent you.

I thought we were talking about men. This kind of tantrum-throwing victim-playing is not masculinity as I know it. Suck it up, buttercups.

Besides, we're not talking about giving away jobs. We're talking about giving women the proper opportunities to earn them, and giving them the respect they deserve when they do. If a man is unfit to do the second thing, that is most definitely his problem, and his organization should ensure that this is so.

]For those girls who dropped out, would they have anyway? Or would they have found their true passion in STEM if given gender support earlier? Seeing a female role model, seeing peers who like STEM? Being respected by teachers and boys as capable?

All good questions. Your experience with your DD does indicate that at least one more would have dropped out and never made it to differentials if not for special intervention.

Are all girl groups the answer? I don't think so, but they may be a step for tentative girls who are struggling with their identity to find that they can be a true girl who does STEM.

Agreed.

Side note - I recently asked my DD what she would do if she began those engineering classes and found herself as the only girl in the room. Her response was that she would recruit her friend, whom she knows to have strong STEM interests, into the class. Peer pressure to force the counter-culture outcome? You lead, girl!