Originally Posted by Bostonian
Originally Posted by Val
Originally Posted by madeinuk
But the arguments I see above just do not fly for me. Sure. On average girls and boys have equal ability in Maths but if you head out into the RHS you reach a point where high scoring boys outnumber high scoring girls. That is empirical fact and this gap has persisted despite oodles of encouragement to bring girls along.

Personally, I do not buy into college for all nor do I support forcing talented boys out of STEM so their places can be taken by less able girls in order to artificially impose gender parity in any given STEM discipline.

Perhaps there's a failure of imagination here.

Overall, "math talent" is and has been defined by men for a very long time. Highly capable tends to mean really good with a certain skill set, like solving problems quickly on competition exams. Or being able to shut up and calculate and not waste time asking questions about why it works (google it). Perhaps this skill set is something men do well.
A very different manifestation of math talent is creating new math -- proving theorems, which mathematicians do. Almost all of the great mathematicians have been men. According to what definition of math talent have women been as accomplished as men?

By the definition of “creating new math”, there aren’t many male mathematicians, either, and that’s under a legacy of female under-education or outright suppression of education. That’s hardly a compelling argument in favour of male math supremacy.

I suppose there aren’t many illustrious female Popes, either, so case closed!

What is to give light must endure burning.