Let me first qualify what I am about to say with the fact that my 13 year old daughter is a DYS and a participant in SET ( based on Maths score) I have always, from birth, treated her as a human being not a girl.

From the time that it was obvious that she was able to grasp things quickly I encouraged her to follow STEM pursuits. Science camps, SG Maths, AOPS, CTY and a state university G&T outreach program. So far my daughter has excelled and continues to be enthused.

But the arguments I see above just do not fly for me. Sure. On average girls and boys have equal ability in Maths but if you head out into the RHS you reach a point where high scoring boys outnumber high scoring girls. That is empirical fact and this gap has persisted despite oodles of encouragement to bring girls along.

I do not think that STEM careers are for average people nor do I think that college is for average people. There are plenty of trades that will provide secure income for non academic folks. Personally, I do not buy into college for all nor do I support forcing talented boys out of STEM so their places can be taken by less able girls in order to artificially impose gender parity in any given STEM discipline.

I do not expect anyone here to agree but I am a born heretic and have an almost pathological aversion to echo chambers preferring the Way of the Cynic in all things.

Last edited by madeinuk; 04/04/18 07:59 AM.

Become what you are