Originally Posted by aquinas
What’s been your approach in your parenting vis-a-vis inculcating STEM skills for your children, particularly your DD? (IIRC, you have a DD and a DS.)

Good memory. I try to influence both my children to do STEM, logic, and strategy activities equally. My DD is gifted in just about every area, and all signs indicate that she could have a career in STEM (years from now) if she were inclined. She picks up a lot of algebra concepts easily at the age of 9. But she's also a gifted writer, artist, and musician. Lately her interests are in the area of biology. Although we have a duoscope, she spends a lot of time doing art projects. Meanwhile, her brother is playing chess and building legos (almost obsessively). I showed my daughter how chess pieces move, and she just wasn't interested in playing. My daughter has lego sets too but she's not obsessed like her brother.

In the end I follow their interests, and will help both of them optimize their happiness to the best of my ability (and the highest salary career doesn't necessarily lead to the greatest happiness). I wont be over-bearing and force them into something they don't want to do. DD is phenomenal at book learning, and gets 100s on the vast majority of her math work, but she doesn't show the inclination towards math and engineering that her brother does. DS doesn't fair quite as well at school (though he is still at the top of his class), but anyone who has ever seen him build is immediately impressed. It's hard to imagine he wont have a career designing things.. but then again I'm an EE and at the age of 7 I was obsessed with horses.

Last edited by DAD22; 04/14/18 02:47 PM.