Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
Originally Posted by sanne
Does anyone project that there wil be too many people pursuing STEM careers? I don't see a point in encouraging an entire generation to pursue STEM. I'm encouraging my son to consider skilled trades and agriculture, I think all the STEM jobs are going to be filled, and student debt will make trade and agriculture unattractive to those who pursued STEM. JMO. I will be curious what happens in the next 10 - 30 years.

Interestingly, in my circle, agricultural careers are considered STEM. :-)

I think encouraging more people to have STEM skills is a good goal, but agree that it's a little silly to think everyone is well suited for any particular type of career.

Wow! I haven't heard of agriculture presented as STEM. I wonder if living in a rural area affects that? Around here, there is a small STEM project-based charter school one district over. And the local middle school has a STELM classroom for top 10th percentile students, which covers cryptography, LEGO robotics, 3D printing, and a couple other topics. Oh, and there's a private tutor that teaches computer coding (Scratch, Tynker) about 15 miles away. So we're not seeing much change for all the talk about STEM. Privileged families and identified-high achiever-high IQ children have limited access to STEM. Nothing for anyone else.