Originally Posted by SaturnFan
if even 5% of those kids were to go to a charter... the special ed population would now be a significantly larger percentage of the whole...
I'm not sure if I follow your math...?

If 13% of students receive special ed services (13/100)...
and 5% of students NOT receiving special ed services leave...
there are 13/95 or 14% of students receiving special ed services...
some may say 1% is not a significantly larger percentage of the whole.

Also, your stance does not take into account growth of the private school sector and assumes that there will be no new schools.
This was neither stated nor implied. What was stated was that in order to drain public schools of the approximately 87% of students not receiving special ed services, private schools would need to grow 10-fold to 12-fold.

We send our son to a private gifted school we can't really afford and could use all the help we can get. I still am against vouchers.
I am not aware of any proposed requirement to utilize a voucher; It is my understanding that parents are empowered to make a personal choice for their families.

Would you treat a student and their family differently if you learned that the student attended your child's school, utilizing a voucher?

the money the district would be spending on my son this year is now extra they can use to educate the other kids.
Yes and no. In general, this would be reflected in the school district's "expenditure per pupil"... regardless of how that money is spent (it may not be spent on academic education of students per se, but may be spent on a range of items, from sports equipment to payment of union contract pensions and health benefits for retired teachers, etc). Interested families can review their public schools' budgets.

It remains to be seen, how much DeVos may influence the Department of Education, and how much the Department of Education may influence DeVos.