A liberal sending their child to private school? Oh, I'm one of them (parochial school, in our case). I do my best for my child in the system as I find it. Considering that all our children on this board are extreme outliers by definition and uniquely vulnerable, I'm not sure personal anecdote counts for anthing, but I will say that it is absolutely NOT up to individual children or families to improve a system, a school or even a classroom. (I think the Obama daughters probably were as vulnerable as it gets), Teach every child at their level, using appropriate grouping, as is always being promised? And serious, functional anti bullying measures? Public school, here I come. Just find an appropriate group for my kid, just another two or so in his grade/age with a similar cognitive profile would suffice. Considering this is a fairly large metropolitan area, they might even have found them. Excuse me while I don't wait.
Does that make me a hypocrite? Possibly. All I can say is that my criteria were met in a public gifted program for middle school and DS10 is back in the public system, and I prefer it that way,
I like to think that I do walk the walk.