Originally Posted by VR00
I do not think the point is around ADA/IDEA or Title IX. It is the way that an administration goes about these issues. When all the power is given to the Bureaucracy the results are pretty predictable as Val pointed out. There has to be a way of putting more power to the parents of the children. To be honest, Vouchers are the only real idea anyone has come up with to put power into the hands of the parents.

As noted earlier, I suspect that vouchers would or do mostly help people who already send their kids to private schools.

There are very serious problems in public education. Some are due to bad policies beyond the control of the schools (e.g. high stakes testing and NCLB, fads pushed on teachers). Some result from a teaching corps that's generally not knowledgeable about subject matter and that enjoys too much protection from the consequences of poor performance. Criticism is often met with "Stop bashing teachers!" No one is above criticism, and mine here is amply documented.

I don't believe that Betsy DeVos has the welfare of students in mind, and I also think that she'll do a lot of harm to our public schools. At the same time, IMO, the US public school system as a whole won't enact meaningful change without being forced to. Reforming the tests and hiring people who know their subjects would be a good start. I don't know if vouchers will do that. I don't know about charter schools, either. It's been shown that many of them are no better than the public schools. Certainly, the one my son attended for a year was such a disaster, it bled students (enrollment didn't increase in spite of adding a grade every year, and it eventually closed for a variety of reasons).