Sorry but from where I am standing, Americans by and large do not care about their schools one iota.

(Almost) Every H1(b) printed is a searing indictment of the American public schools.

Were American actually concerned with their schools they would be asking the most obvious question:

How is that American schools cannot produce adults with the skills needed to fill the spaces purportedly unfillable to such an extent that thousands of H1(b) visas need to be stamped every year?

Worse still, many of those H1(b) visa go to foreign born graduates of US tertiary education institutions. So the failure must rest with the US primary and secondary educational institutions.

While I can see that niche technologies will always need to freely hire from a global pool so there should always be H1(b) visas issued I cannot help thinking that the current system is way abused and that healthy public school systems around the country should be producing high school graduates of the right calibre to render them obsolete for the most part.

Given what we actually do have in our public schools - a system where the people with the most potential are the most underserved . It should not be too surprising that employment agencies and their Washington lobbyists can claim that often borderline competent people (there are, of course outliers who are fantastically competent and awesome to work with as I know from personal experience) from half way around the world speaking almost unintelligible English show more promise than American candidates.

I cannot help but conclude that Americans as a nation, irrespective of the Secretary of Education du jour, must not really care about their public schools.

Last edited by madeinuk; 02/12/17 05:00 PM. Reason: entered ipad before

Become what you are