Originally Posted by VR00
Tigerle, I think you make the choice that you as a parent are believes is right for your child. I think the article was making the point on hypocrisy in denying funding to a choice program for poorer families who might want to send their children to a different school. Just like all of us those parents should be allowed that choice.

Val, we can argue how good or bad the charters in Detroit are with respect to the public schools. But that is not the point. The point is the parents should get to make that choice.
Well said, VR00. Parental choice.

I value parental empowerment.

Yet I see a potential downside, as schools accepting government money may become subject to governmental interventions which may substantially change features of the school to no longer resemble that which the parents chose. In this way, accepting government money may be a Trojan Horse and take down high-performing schools. However at this point it is pure conjecture.

The current educational system whose end-goal is equal outcomes was created under previous administration. Time will reveal how much DeVos may influence the US Department of Education, and how much the US Department of Education may influence DeVos.