Val, I hear you. I agree in principal with much of what you have expressed. Raising awareness of various experiences on the forum is helpful. So far, these experiences have been occurring under a different administration.

While any education system is falling short, I believe that we (as parents, as a gifted community, as people who care about others) must collectively continue to do several things:
1) Advocate at a national level (contacting Senators, NAGC, DeVos, etc), if we feel we are knowledgeable, among those called to do this, and up to the task.
2) Advocate locally for opportunities within our State, county, district, and/or school if we believe we have armed ourselves with facts and information.
3) Advocate individually for a child's unseen and/or unmet needs, gathering tips, expertise, and advocacy advice as we do so.
4) Educate our kids... even when that means outside the system, supplementing a child's learning... homeschooling, etc.

As mentioned upthread, from the US Dept of Education, whether led by DeVos or others in the past, parents can expect an "appropriate" education, not necessarily the "best" education.