Originally Posted by Val
those asking for evidence ignore what's put in front of them and segue to another topic
While some may ignore evidence, others may analyze and categorize (anecdotal evidence vs. empirical evidence from research or literature review) before determining how heavily to weigh it.

Originally Posted by Val
There is no amount of evidence that will convince people...
Different research may yield different results, and correlation does not mean causation. It is good, I think, on a forum like this one, to exchange experiences and sources of information which inform various views... in a manner which seeks to understand both common ground and differences.

Originally Posted by Val
...whose agenda isn't what they claim it to be. It's the whole point of their position.
One worthy agenda may be to shed light that there is good and bad in everything. Tradeoffs. Opportunity costs.

Originally Posted by Val
They present fake facts from biased sources and tell you, "See!?"
We cannot presume to have a common knowledge base simply by virtue of being gifted individuals. This is why some people choose to share experiences and/or sources which inform their view, and to ask others to do the same. If one believes a fact or set of facts to be "fake", one might choose to discuss that... for example: budgeted/estimated/projected vs. actual; outdated data replaced by more recent data; more comprehensive study with more subjects and/or a longer time period, etc. This may facilitate conversation amongst gifted individuals in a way that simply claiming "fake" unfortunately cannot.

Originally Posted by Val
When that point gets brought up, the response is to find a new segue or a way to attack.
Seeking context, sources, or delving deeper with questions for clarification are not attack. However accusations and allegations, casting aspersions on individual's motivations is an attack. Ad Hominem.

Originally Posted by Val
The best approach, I think, on a forum like this one, is not to engage them.
This statement sounds like relational aggression, also known as girl-bullying. I know the considerable talents of members can be put to better use on the forum.

For example, discussing DeVos and the US Department of Education which she is inheriting... how much might she change its direction... how much might it change her?