Hi everyone I'm reviving this thread because I need some real, practical advice.

DD continues to be the only girl in her class but this year is going SO much better. The 2 most rowdy boys have moved on (the ring leader moved to the middle school area and his side kick changed schools) and the remaining boys are all a good fit so it's been a nice, calm year so far. They arranged for DD to have "weekly" discussions with a high school girl to augment her 1-1 HS literature curriculum. I figured it would be a double win - a good discussion partner and maybe an older female friend. The other girl chose "The Odyssey" as their book. DD loves Greek mythology so was thrilled. It seemed a good choice with no content to worry about for DD's younger age. Unfortunately they have only met together once as the HS girl isn't always available as planned. (This week they missed it so high schooler could work on her essay for college applications. Not really something my 5th grader could relate to...)

Anyway here is where I need advice. How would you parents of girls deal with the whole puberty issue in this scenario? No health class, no other girls to discuss or compare with. Knowing DD was the only example these boys had in their midst I opted out of age appropriate discussions with her last year for fear she would become extremely uncomfortable. (Personally I am *extremely* uncomfortable with the whole topic and was happy to have an excuse to avoid it. Unfortunately time... and puberty... wait for no one so it is now biting me in the rear end...) I now have to play catch up and am in a bit of a crisis situation...

One of her best friends is a gifty and very precocious - comes from a medical family so is MILES ahead in her knowledge of this stuff but also several years behind developmentally (only hit the 50 pound mark at the age of 10 1/2 and looks more like a 7 year old...). Her mother and I had decided earlier this year to do a girly-info session slumber party along with another friend who has 2 older sisters and whose parents are both OB/Gyns that refer to this as "dinner conversation in our house." I thought their extreme comfort level would be a great balance to my own discomfort and would help demystify everything. Unfortunately that friend moved away before we could do it. DD will be sleeping over at other friend's house this weekend with the specific intent of having girl conversations about all of it.

I have heard great things about the American Girl books "The Care and Keeping of You" and "Is this Normal". I like the idea of her reading at her own pace and level and then (gulp) answering questions as they arise but with a kid with serious LD issues this isn't so easy. She is finally decoding at a 5th grade level so I was able to get the book for younger girls but have not been able to find a way to download an audio version which would be easier for her.

So what would you suggest? I have handled all the LD, anxiety, migraine, school issues,, etc head on but this one freaks me out. Advice please?

Last edited by Pemberley; 10/22/15 07:10 AM.