A bit of an update:

DD and her teacher have been sewing during recess and all the female staff has been rallying around her to provide "girl time" so things are going better than I had expected. Unfortunately the really (and I do mean REALLY) good SW had some kind of accident the weekend after the basketball incident and has been out of school ever since so hasn't been there to help DD through any of this transition. Hopefully she will be back soon...

At our PT conference the teachers mentioned that they expected things to calm down soon as some of the students were in the process of changes with meds. Apparently the two days this week have been totally calm and quiet so I guess the new meds are working. I asked DD how long the boys have to behave well before she will let herself trust them again and she said a month. So after the holiday break she will go back to the way things used to be. Crossing my fingers and grateful we will be traveling 2 of those weeks.

Over the weekend we went to the theater. Another family sat next to us and the boy (maybe a year or so younger than DD) sat next to DD. Normally she would have been thrilled to have a kid to sit with and would have started chatting with him. This time though she panicked and asked to change seats with me saying "I'm just not comfortable being around a boy."

Yesterday I used a trick I read on another thread and asked DD if anything made her laugh at school that day. No not really. They had music that day and 2 boys (the primary rowdy and his sidekick) were acting up a bit. "I almost laughed once but I suppressed it. After all I don't want to encourage that behavior do I?" I figure that's progress. I'm not really sure in which direction but progress nonetheless.