My 2E DD9, 4th grade, is in out of district placement at a spec Ed school because of severe LD issues. Last year her class consisted of 3 girls and 4 boys ranging from 2nd to 6th grade with 2 spec Ed teachers. It was the first time there were so many girls in the elementary area of the school. They became a very close knit group and there were a lot of comments about the positive affect having the girls seemed to have on the boys' behavior, several of whom are very ADHD.

This year the class started as 5 boys, 2 girls ranging from 1st-6th grade with the same 2 teachers and 3 of the same boys as last year and 2 new 1st grade boys. This week the other girl transferred back to her home school district leaving DD as the only girl. The boys' behavior has been escalating as they seem to be feeding off each others behavior. They are also older, 9-11 years old instead of 8-10 like last year, if that makes a difference. Also at least one 1st grader follows the lead of the older boys.

DD is feeling pretty overwhelmed. Just a couple of days before the other girl left the boys went off on DD because she didn't understand the rules of the basketball game they were playing during recess. Ever since then she has been very uncomfortable and even asked me to change the plans for her birthday party because she doesn't feel comfortable having these boys there. Prior to the recess incident she had insisted that any party had to include EVERYONE from school and rejected any location that couldn't accommodate her whole class and friends from school as well as their siblings. She spends much of her day outside the classroom (OT, SLP, enrichment, etc) so I think lunch and recess are going to be the hardest part.

Any BTDT advice from other parents whose girls have found themselves in a class with all boys? Or from parents of boys about how she may better cope with their behaviors? DD is very girly but also likes insects and frogs and has always had male friends. She is dyspraxic, though, so hanging with a group of sports enthusiasts is really tough.