I agree in part with what Jeni says.
At first I thought "brilliant!", too, when I read the Jane Goodall suggestion. Then I thought about how I would explain it to my kid. Observing the other kids as if they were chimpanzees? Sorry, can't imagine. Not on. Try anthropologist, maybe.
But even then, the experience you described is a sign of classroom dynamics out of control. I get that these boys are mostly ADHD, but screaming and calling names about a rule infraction, agreed upon or not? So not on, boys or not. Someone should have stepped in immediately, what's the point of the special ed program with the tiny classrooms otherwise? Gym class or recess, especially recess, the supervision needs to be closer.
I do think that if the program is otherwise right for her, I would not take her out. Yet. But have a come to Jesus meeting about those classroom dynamics and about gym time - sorry, unless it is usual to play football in mixed elementary gym classes, football can't happen. Play softball or do athletics. And keep up the girlfriend stuff.
I'd give her some time about her birthday. I can imagine her to be somewhat shell shocked by this experience. After a few weeks and some time off for Christmas, she may feel safe again about having them at her house - and you'll be there and can promise her to step in immediately, if necessary throw about anyone if they misbehave.

Last edited by Tigerle; 11/27/14 01:08 AM.